doing blades==hot knifing

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Nov 6 01:32:35 UTC 2007

>I may have missed something, so please correct me if I am wrong--but
>I searched the list archives, OED, UD, and Google books (which does
>have a reference, and a simple search gives you plenty)--but the term
>"blades" does not seem to have been researched, dated, usage, etc.

A quick Gugelblick suggests that these expressions have been popular
for only about 15 years at most. Do they have any staying power? Do
they have much prevalence?

I have no personal acquaintance with either of them.

A single student informant also denies any acquaintance with either of them.

The expressions seem predictable enough.

One on-line item asserts that the word "blade" here refers to the
bolus of psychoactive material itself rather than to the knives
employed. This is a rather odd 'reanalysis', I suppose, based on "do
[drug X]" = "administer [drug X] to oneself" plus, maybe, "blades of grass"?

-- Doug Wilson