Proposal: A separate antedatings list

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 6 01:49:23 UTC 2007

Fred Shapiro wrote:

I suggest again the solution I have suggested in the past, namely that the
antedaters and OT posters, including myself, exercise more self-restraint
than they have been doing.  This is a potentially wonderful list bringing
together talented professional linguists and talented amateur language
buffs, and it would be a shame to kill it off because of some people's
stubborn insistence on overposting (again, I include myself in this
category, although I believe my signal-to-noise ratio is better than some
others').
<<<

I'd be happy to sign the same pledge (and confession).

Ben Zimmer wrote:

Something we haven't posted very often, however, is the link to the
associated Eggcorn Forum:
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/
<<<

Also information about
 - the distinction between the eggcorn db and the eggcorn forum: only a few
people can add to the db, so the forum is the place to mention or ask about
eggcorns
 - how to register for the forum
 - how to post to the forum once you've registered (
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=3)
This information should be on the eggcorn site, of course, but I'm not sure
how much control the "owners" have over the software.

m a m