AD: card game terms from 1734 (finesse, remise)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Nov 6 16:16:58 UTC 2007

No, "AD" does not mean "Anno Domini"; for that I use ...
CE 1734:
-----

finesse (n)
antedates OED2 sense 4.b. 1862-

"Emperor. I have a sad run of Luck, nothing but a Finesse can save me."
  -----

remise (n)
antedates OED2 n.2 sense 3.b. 1850-

"Stanislaus. I have not lost Podille, 'tis at worst but Remise; I
have a Maradore still to play.
"Duke of Lorain. I hold nothing but a Queen."

["Remise" here has a double meaning:  "remise" n.1 sense 1. is "a
transfer of property".  Podille is a district in Poland; I have not
found "Maradore" geographically anywhere.  At the end of the War of
the Polish Succession in 1735 Stanislaus, whose daughter was the
Queen of France, agreed to give up Poland in exchange for Lorraine.]
-----
both from:

The Boston Weekly News-Letter
1734 May 30
p. 1, col. 2
[From an item titled "Political Quadrille", where the various
European rulers are playing cards. "Quadrille": another double meaning.]

Early American Newspapers (which I have not searched; this was a one-off).

Joel