Texas Coffee & Texas Toast (1944); O.T.: Election wagering

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 7 03:16:10 UTC 2007

On 11/4/07, Barry Popik <bapopik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Barry Popik <bapopik at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Texas Coffee & Texas Toast (1944); O.T.: Election wagering
>
> O.T.: ELECTION WAGERING
> http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/election_wagering_peanut_and_toothpick_bet/
> There's an interesting article on election wagering in Sunday's NY
> Times, City section. Some people who lost bets were forced to roll a
> peanut a mile with a toothpick. (Of possible interest to anyone out
> there who wrote a book on the "peanut.") The NY Times states that the
> peanut-and-toothpick tradition began in 1900, but it clearly began in
> 1892 Philadelphia. I would write in to the NY Times for a correction,
> but I have better luck writing to Texas legislators.
> I'm sorry for anyone who's not interested in this. I made $3 all damn
> day. Just shoot me.
> TEXAS COFFEE & TEXAS TOAST
> NewspaperArchive added more San Antonio newspapers a day ago, but
> still no "Margarita" breakthrough. I have 1952 "Tequila Daisy," if
> anyone's interested...The following 1944 citation on "Texas coffee"
> and "Texas toast" is interesting. For possible DARE use...The 1948
> citation for "Texas puppies" (hush puppies?) appears to be an isolated
> use of that term.
> 23 January 1944, Abilene (TX) <i>Reporter-News</i>, "Benny Beam from
> the Air Base," pg. 9, col. 1:
> The other day a lad came in wailing about "Texas coffee" and "Texas
> toast"..."What is it?" we asked innocently...The Sad Sack replied:
> "It's coffee made with hot water that has come from the tap, and the
> toast is only done on one side...."

I'm a native of Texas and we in my family have always made toast in
the form of "light bread" buttered and toasted in the oven on only one
side. We know this foodstuff only as "toast." "Texas" toast as the
term for it is news to me.

-Wilson

> 10 December 1948, Elyria (OH) <i>Chronicle-Telegram</i>, pg. 26, col. 5 ad:
> THE LITTLE WHITE HOUSE
> - OF -
> FRENCH FRIED CHICKEN, OYSTERS, POTATOES,
> FISH AND TEXAS PUPPIES
> (Chic-Wich -- ed.)
> 23 February 1957, Waco (TX) <i>News-Tribune</i>, pg. 13, col. 8 ad:
> Our own Texas Toast, coffee with pure cream and famous old fashioned
> strawberry shortcake topped with delicious whipped cream.
> (THE HICKORY STICK -- ed.)
> 27 October 1957, San Antonio (TX) <i>Light</i>, pg. 12F, col. 2 ad:
> Featuring: FAMOUS "TEXAS" TOAST
> (Harry's Drumstick -- ed.)
> 18 November 1957, Abilene (TX) <i>Reporter-News</i>, pg.2A, col. 1 ad:
> ...hot biscuits and Texas style toast made from thick sliced white,
> butter bread, baked fresh daily in our own bake shop.
> (Mack Eplen's Restaurants -- ed.)
> 9 March 1959, Odessa (TX) <i>American</i>, pg. 11, col. 3 ad:
> Served with Salad, Gravy, Honey, Tangy and Tartar Sauce, French Fries
> and Texas Toast.
> (Buck's -- ed.)

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens