Putative "jazzbo" in 1918 NYT?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Nov 7 15:52:34 UTC 2007

In 1919, C[harles]. Alphonso Smith wrote a book called _New
Words Self-Defined,_ in which he illustrated about 100 words
(many related to the military) with quotations from
contemporary newspapers and other sources. HDAS used this as a
source, as did OED.

Smith, who was the head of the English Department at the
U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, has an entry for _jazz boes_
which contains the earliest example I know of specifically
referring to a black person. (HDAS has another 1918 quote from
Alexander Woolcott's _The Command is Forward_ placed in this
sense, but the meaning is unclear even in the full context as
available on Google Books.)

Smith's entry for "jazz boes" reads in its entirety:

  Yankee "Jazz Boes," as American coloured troops are called in
  France, constructing a railway behind the front lines.--Under
  a picture in New York _Times_, Nov. 3, 1918

However, I can't find this in the NYT on Proquest, and I've
flipped through this issue and don't even see a picture under
which it could appear (in case the caption were for some
reason not scanned). Furthermore the spelling of "coloured"
and perhaps even the use of "railway" is odd for an American
source. But this does not seem to be in the _Times_ of London
either.

Would anyone have any idea where this quotation is actually
from? I suppose it would be possible to cite this as 1919, but
since the book's entry consists solely of this putative
citation, this would seem a little weird.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED