NYT on Daniel Cassidy

Barry A. Popik Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 8 05:49:41 UTC 2007

Amazing. The New York Times writes an article on this guy, and the only
people who comment on him are the help at the Irish bar? No linguist is
consulted? A whole article on B.S. in the paper of record?
Cassidy also probably told the Times writer that "Big Apple" derives  from
Irish "Big Áth Béal" (pronounced Ahh Beeul) and means "Big Crossing  at the
Mouth." The Irish sounds so much like "apple," and that's  surely what everyone
meant.
Then the Times writer probably said to himself: I can't  print THAT bullshit!
But I have to write something on this guy! I can't  present a nobody to Times
readers just to destroy him. I'll just let him rip on  that other stuff, and
it might be "wrong" or it might be "right," nobody's gonna  know, this is a
"diversity" article after all, and it's "politically  correct," and everyone and
every opinion and every culture is just precious  and wonderful.
I would write a letter to the editor documenting the truth about what this
guy says, but, of course, that can never be printed in the New York  Times.