cheap access to digitized newspapers

Shapiro, Fred Fred.Shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 8 20:07:58 UTC 2007

Note that America's Historical Newspapers is by Readex and, yes, it's just a new name for Early American Newspapers.  The Gale product you may be thinking of is 19th Century U.S. Newspapers.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Joel S. Berson [Berson at ATT.NET]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:20 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: cheap access to digitized newspapers

I don't remember whether I mentioned this here or on another list,
but the New England Historic Genealogical Society (Boston) permits
access from home computers to "America's Historical Newspapers"
(Gale) and "Early American Newspapers" (Readex) -- aren't they the
same thing these days? At least, when one gets to the database, it's
called "Readex / America's Historical Newspapers, 1690-1876 including
Early American Newspapers Series 1" -- for a not quite as inexpensive
membership charge ($75 per year).  The NEHGS also provides access to
19th Century U.S. Newspapers (Gale).

(Does the Godfrey Memorial Library (Middletown, Conn.) permit access
from members' home computers, as does the NEHGS?  My university
library permits home access to its databases only to staff and students.)

Joel