vl cluster spotting

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 10 18:51:01 UTC 2007

>Aside from the Vlach, the OED CD-ROM has a few, from Russian or
>Dutch/Afrikaans:  vladimirite, vlakte, vlast, vlei.  (And others for
>which the pronunciation is "fl" or not given but probably "fl", many
>"southern ME".)
>
>Joel

A former colleague of mine was named Frank Vlach, everyone pronounced
his surname with the cluster (although they varied on the final
consonant); it's the same root as Wallachia.  Another not uncommon
name is Vlastos (from the Greek).  I think of vl- as having the same
status as vr-:  Not exactly English, but pronounced as a cluster when
encountered (cf. "vroom" for the latter, or "vraisemblance" as a load
word).

LH