Re: [ADS-L] vl clus ter spotting

Sat Nov 10 22:15:58 UTC 2007

In a message dated 11/10/07 4:04:56 PM, preston at MSU.EDU writes:

> There is no frequency effect for us /l/-vocalizers (widespread as we
> are); we all pronounce all these words just as you have given them.
> Post-vocalic /l/ realization, even though I have been in the frozen
> north lo these many years, still sounds like an affectation or
> foreignism to me.
>
> dInIs

I'm not talking about labialization of /l/ in the environment before /k/--I'm
tlaking about total deletion (I'm thinking that, in "alcohol," it is an
assimilation to the following /l/).   The people I hae heard doing this are few and
far between, but their pronunciation is invariantly [aek at hOl] (with
aspioration on the [k]; [ae] = some kind of low front vowel, [@] is schwa, and [O] is
some kind of more back, maybe rounded, nonhigh vowel). The person I am thinking
of in particular is white, female, about 40, N Carolina native,
lower-middle-class, country-goes-to-town lesbian).

See what's new at http://www.aol.com