"Locavore" is Oxford Word-of-the-Year

Tue Nov 13 02:30:07 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 6:32 PM, Barry Popik <bapopik at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Locavore." Someone named Ben Zimmer praises this food word. This,
> from a dictionary that doesn't even have "ranch" dressing!

Just to clarify, "locavore" is the *New Oxford American Dictionary*
WOTY. And NOAD2 most certainly has "ranch dressing" ("a type of thick
white salad dressing made with sour cream or buttermilk"). It's the
OED which doesn't (for the moment) have an entry for "ranch dressing."

Also to clarify, at Oxford Univ. Press I'm an editor for American
dictionaries -- not the OED, which is a different operation entirely.
(Jesse's just down the hall, though.)

--Ben Zimmer