contrastive stress on "an"

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Nov 13 19:23:05 UTC 2007

Therda been a big problem for any snot-nosed outlander whoda tried to
fix us up.

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: contrastive stress on "an"
>
>At 11:25 AM -0500 11/13/07, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>>Larry,
>>
>>Both /ey/ and /aen/ sound good to me; I think the contrastive stress
>>does away with the /n/ requirement in the first (and I don't have the
>>/n/ in colloquial usage anyhow).
>
>Right, as Ron also pointed out, there's often a shift to /EY/ here
>before vowels for speakers who do differentiate the "a" and "an"
>allomorphs in unstressed contexts.  I could be wrong about the
>aversion to stressed /AEN/; I'm just reporting my own usage and
>possibly misprojecting it on others, although the shift to /EY/ would
>be consistent with this aversion.
>
>Of course in metalinguistic contexts, e.g. a teacher "correcting" a
>student's nonstandard usage--"No, Dennis, it's not A apple, it's AN
>apple"--there's no problem with (or alternative to) stressing the
>"an".  Although there might be a problem for the teacher.
>
>LH

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself [sic] in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English