Turducken & Churkendoose; WD-40

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Nov 15 15:31:34 UTC 2007

My earlier point, although I might not have made the trip to German -
children, oxen, etc...., maybe even unetymological associations with
women, vermin, etc....

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>Subject:      Re: Turducken & Churkendoose; WD-40
>
>At 11/15/2007 09:22 AM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>>(despite the wikipedia page's usage "turduckens", i feel some
>>inclination towards treating "turducken" as having a zero plural.)
>
>Perhaps because, as when I initially took "turducken" as merely
>turkey and duck, it already looks like a German plural?
>
>Joel

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself [sic] in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English