"Heynabonics. Kina funny, hey na?"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 17 05:34:19 UTC 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sMI2jb16eo

According to my wife, when she was a girl in the late 'Fifties, there
was a song, sung to the tune of "Boola, Boola":

Hey na, hey na
Hey na, hey na
I'm from Plymout'
Pennsylvania

Anymore, she's unable to recall the rest of the words, but says that
the song was meant as a put-down of speakers of the non-middle-class
version of the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre regional dialect.

How about the way that the "teacher" pronounces "h" as [heiC]? I've
heard "h" pronounced as approximately [hiEC] by Catholics from
Northern Ireland, where the lack of [h-] is said to mark the speaker
as a Protestant, but this is the first time that I've ever heard "h"
pronounced with [h-] by an American.

-Wilson

On 11/16/07, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologize for failing to add the relevant URL's. That was pretty
> stupid of me, since I made a point of copying the URL's before writing
> the post.
>
> -Wilson
>
> On 11/16/07, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

-----