"onions and garlic"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Nov 19 18:24:22 UTC 2007

At the risk of being too literal, how are onions and garlic thought
of/treated in colonial cooking? Onions as desirable because they can
be carmelized and can add some sweetness to a dish? Garlic less so
because it adds sharp aroma/flavor? Is it another version of "carrot
and stick" possibly? Or are both undesirable because they're both
stinky?

---Amy West