The Onion on U.K. slang

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 19 20:45:58 UTC 2007

Heartfelt thanks to Michael Quinion.  Perhaps:

handbags = old ladies, derogatorily applied to the members of
Lords?  Medical slang has "Handbag positive - confused patient
(usually elderly lady) lying on hospital bed clutching handbag".

But I don't know how "fortnight-old" fits (= immature and
ignorant?  or = old and stale?). I find via Googling with "slang" a
hint of Australian slang origin or use:

http://www.nfsa.afc.gov.au/docs/photoplayartiste_reel5.pdf, from
1919: "N.S.W. He was only a fortnight old when he. made his first
appearance."  (If he is a stage performer, he surely can't be
literally 14 days old.  But I haven't tried to pull out the context
from the PDF.)

Joel