[antedating] "snuck" 1881

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Sun Nov 25 08:10:13 UTC 2007

"Snuck" was recently discussed in the office shared by the adjunct
instructors: one spotted it in a student's paper, asked about it, and
I directed her to a dictionary (ta-da!) (MW C10) where the form was
listed and there was a nice little usage note about it. She treated
it as a "marked"/"disapproved"/"informal" form.

What I wonder about it is what strong verb pattern (ablaut) is it
being modeled on?

---Amy West