"Unring" Not in OED

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 27 17:55:10 UTC 2007

At 4:14 PM +0000 11/27/07, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>This is helpful, Jesse, and
>As a devoted user, I am all for inclusiveness &
>delighted that you intend to add "unring."
>
>  I know that this is a subject that was much
>discussed in pr e-internet days,  but I'm
>wondering how (if at all) the now-indefinitely
>large size of OED changes anything. Seems to me
>a topic ripe for a DICTIONARIES article.
>
>I'm also wondering just what "currency"
>means--you cite age as important, but "unring"
>has not been around very long & 69,000 Google
>hits is not really a lot, especially if (as
>Larry says) the cliche (I resist calling it a
>proverb) is largely confined to legal contexts
>and is thus jargony.
>
>You don't mention likelihood of survival and
>productivity as criteria--hard to estimate, I
>know, but surely relevant. I'd agree that "You
>can't unring a bell" is likely to be around for
>a while, but I wonder if it will spread to other
>environments (e.g., "The fat lady can,t unsing
>the last song," "You can't unfuck a deflowered
>virgin"-though maybe "you can't unconfess your
>crime"), though my guess is that "unsay" in
>pretty much this same sense has been around for
>a long time (You can't unsay an insult") . Maybe
>"unring" is an extensuon of that? In which case
>"unsay" would be a good place to add "unring" in
>the updated OED?

I've collected a bunch of these, including
"unknow", "unboil" ("You can't unboil an egg"),
and "unhappen".  One key difference is that
"unhappen", say, is recreated as a nonce form (or
as Jesse says, an independent coinage) each time
it's used, based on the lexical process involved,
while "unring [the bell]" is indeed a proverb (or
cliché, if you insist).  (Maybe "You can't unboil
an egg" does result from a snowclone spinoff from
"unring the bell".)  The formation is especially
popular in song:

Un-break my heart
Say you'll love me again
Undo this hurt you caused
When you walked out the door
And walked outta my life
Un-cry these tears
I cried so many nights
Un-break my heart

--Toni Braxton, "Un-break my Heart"

You can't uncry the tears that you've cried
You can't unshoot that gun
You can't unlive the life that you've lived
You gotta go on, go on

--Pam Gadd, "Go On"

cf. Lucinda Williams, "Unsuffer Me", and no doubt others.

LH