"Nothing to lose"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 1 00:01:02 UTC 2007

Like, there's only one possible outcome that can foil your try, and that's "failure."  So you got, like, just one way to lose but X ways to win, if you follow me. So the odds are way on your side, dude!

  Reminds me of, "Freedom's just another name for nothin' left to lose."

  Say what?

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: "Nothing to lose"

Benjamin Barrett wrote:

"... [T]here was _nothing to lose_."

The usual way of expressing this concept in Saint Louis BE is:

"Nothing beats a try but a failure."

For some reason, this has always messed with my mind, since the
"obvious" interpretation is that "a failure beats a try," a statement
whose truth is undeniable. Yet, the saying is always used and
understood as though it meant, "There's nothing to lose." And, when
you think about it, it *does* mean that! If you don't try, the only
possible outcome is failure, whereas, if you try, you may succeed or
you may fail. But, if you fail, it matters not (oddly, using "it
doesn't matter" was most unhip in the Saint Louis of my youth),
because, in any case, _there was nothing to lose_.

-Wilson
-----
-Sam'l Clemens

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.