Two other countries separated by a common language

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 2 19:23:08 UTC 2007

At 10/2/2007 03:03 PM, Gerald Cohen wrote:
>Here's another one.  Some years ago a female faculty member from my
>campus visited the Harvard library to do research there and asked a
>fellow where the ladies room is.  His Boston-accented reply sounded
>like "The gods can tell you."  She replied: "I know the gods can
>tell me. I was looking for someone a bit closer to earth."

A funny story, particularly to me, who grew up in New York where
"gods" do not hang around libraries, museums, etc. (except perhaps as
unresponsive statues), and who has been wandering in the innards of
Widener for several years past, looking not only for books but also
for men's rooms.  But--at least today--one will only find gods at the
entrances; handier sources will be the librarians and assistants.

Joel