"Hunc over de" clubs, NY 1736?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Oct 5 02:04:07 UTC 2007

>This strikes me as satire also, and probably a pointed and serious
>political comment: Hunk over Dee as evasion; maintain Truth as
>honesty.  Whether this letter has sexual overtones, I don't know
>[although Diana is reputed to be a virgin].  But surely the earlier
>letter from "Trusty Roger" does.

But some people are just named Roger or Diana. I don't see any sexual
reference at all in Diana's letter. As for Roger's article, I think
it's ambiguous; I'm not sure whether he's trying to be suggestive or
not and if he is I have no idea whether he's justified. Maybe it's
all a joke with no substance. OTOH, maybe he's underestimating an
outrageous truth. I just don't think we can tell from so little material.

There is mention of "hunkadee" in the _American Notes and Queries_
from 1890, at Google Books. A connection to Bengali (or maybe Hindi)
is presented. "Another country heard from!" as my card-playing crony
used to say.

Is there any record of the 19th century game actually being called
"hunk over dee", or is it merely the judgement of some 19th century
writer that the 19th century "hunk-a-dee"/"hunk o' dee" must be a
contraction of the 18th century "hunk over dee"?

-- Doug Wilson