"Until hell freezes over" (1832 & 1859)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake taylor-blake at NC.RR.COM
Sun Oct 7 14:22:43 UTC 2007

Barry, in looking for "carpetbaggers," had previously traced "'til (or till)
hell freezes over" to 1868,

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9908C&L=ADS-L&P=2187

Though a seemingly isolated instance pops up in early 1832, I've found that
the expression begins to appear with some frequency in American publications
around 1860.

-- Bonnie

------------------------

[The editors of a theological magazine report:]

This week we received another paper returned from the same [post] office
[...] on the margin of which is written, "Stop this paper or send it to
Syracuse, where [the subscriber now] lives.  Baldwinsville, Onon. Co. N.Y.
I shall send it back until hell freezes over, but what I will stop it.  I
don't want to pay postage on the d----- thing."

[From "Orthodox Piety and Manners," *The Evangelical Magazine and Gospel
Advocate*, 4 February 1832; 3, 5, Pg. 38; APS Online.]

Another was caught on a stolen horse, and refusing to testify as desired --
his mother urging him to reveal nothing, and saying they would not hang him
till hell froze over -- was found dead.

[From "Democracy and Crime in Pike County," *The Chicago Press and Tribune*,
7 March 1859, Pg. 2; ProQuest Historical.]