Fight like a man

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 8 01:54:44 UTC 2007

Perhaps not a desired instance?  ("men", not "a man")

Pennsylvania Gazette, 27 October 1757, p. 3, col. 1 [Early American
Newspapers].

and the Indians finding their Endeavors to force the Door were in
vain, called to the young Fellows in English, to come out and fight
like Men, and not stay in the House to be murdered.

So the origin is from the Iroquois?  :-)

Or you can have "fight like lions" from 1736, "fight like devils"
from 1745, fight like Britons from 1758, ... .

Joel