Heard on the Judges

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 9 17:54:45 UTC 2007

Mid-twenty-ish white woman:

"He was talkin' on the telephone and he was _doin'_ this _number_:
"Listen to this! Listen to this!"

I guess that "do ... number," as opposed to a simple "VP ..." - e.g.,
she didn't say, "... he was saying ..." or whatever - is not peculiar
to black speech.

The woman didn't mention where she was from, though she did mention
having been to North Carolina. FWIW, her speech was r-ful and [ei]
tended toward [^i] or [ai].

-Wilson

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens