docent

Landau, James James.Landau at NGC.COM
Wed Oct 10 13:59:42 UTC 2007

>From an Associated Press article, available on-line at
http://news.aol.com/story/ar/_a/recently-formed-canyon-opens-to-public/2
0071006124409990001

Recently Formed Canyon Opens to Public
By MICHELLE ROBERTS, AP
<snip>
The Guadalupe Blanco River Authority, which has a lease from the Army
Corps of Engineers to manage the 64-acre Canyon Lake Gorge site, will
begin offering limited public tours of the canyon Saturday, continuing
year-round on the first Saturday of the month.

Early demand for the 3-hour tours is so high they are booked for at
least six months. Rhoad said the authority hopes to train more docents
so dates can be added.
<end quote>

"Docent"?  In the US the usual term is "tour guide".

OT: Headline of the week: Lindsay Lohan Says Rehab "Sobering"

OT: I think I can claim the local record for Google Books misdating.
Google Books claimed a date of 1761 for a paper which turned out to have
been published in 1972.

What apparently happened is that Google Books takes the first four-digit
number it finds on a journal and assumes that is the date.
Unfortunately many journals have their founding date, rather than the
issue date, on their front cover.  In this case the journal was founded
in 1761 and the article was in a 1972 issue.  Similarly many colleges
put their founding date on the front cover of their publications, e.g.
Google Books is convinced every catalogue ever issued by Mount Holyoke
College is dated 1838.

You have to give Google Books credit for trying on that 1761 date.  The
journal was in Norwegian.

James A. Landau
Test Engineer
Northrop-Grumman Information Technology
8025 Black Horse Pike, Suite 300
West Atlantic City  NJ  08232  USA
AMFCX WNAGG JAEJT CMBTC RLJYA MUAOV FQRPK ES
PS: I have to vote for Obama now.  He promised the 57th Street Bookstore
in Chicago (near where he lives) that he would buy a copy of Harry
Potter and the Deathly Hallows from them.  Come the release date and he
was out of town, but he had a staffer go to the 57th Street Bookstore
and make the promised purchase.