Fred Cassidy's centennial

Joan H. Hall jdhall at WISC.EDU
Wed Oct 10 14:57:27 UTC 2007

Today marks the hundredth anniversary of Fred Cassidy's birth, and we're
marking the occasion with an event celebrating Fred and DARE at the
Wisconsin Book Festival. Here's the resolution that the ADS Executive
Council passed at January's annual meeting:

A Resolution Honoring Frederic G. Cassidy

Whereas: October 10, 2007 marks the centennial of the birth of Frederic
G. Cassidy; and

Whereas: Fred Cassidy was a longtime active member of the American
Dialect Society; and

Whereas: Fred Cassidy was the catalyst for, the director of, and the
best possible booster for the Society’s official dictionary, the
Dictionary of American Regional English; and

Whereas: Fred Cassidy was mentor to a large number of ADS members, and
friend and colleague to others;

Therefore: We, the members of the Executive Committee of the American
Dialect Society, do hereby declare October 10, 2007 “Frederic G. Cassidy
Day,” on which friends are encouraged to raise a glass of Jamaican rum
in Fred’s memory and cry out with vigor, “On to Z!”