gentleman

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Oct 11 12:30:28 UTC 2007

It's my sense that the quoted use of "gentleman" was not intended deprecatorily or ironically--just neutrally generic: 'adult male'. You know, the kind of person who uses a public restroom marked "Gentlemen," where admittance requires no social-class or moral credentials.

That's a different issue, of course, from how designations like "gentleman" and "lady" AFFECT those in whose presence the words are used.

--Charlie