Iced Tea; Tailgate Picnic; "No Noose Is Good News" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Oct 12 16:12:15 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Probably the recent unrest at Jena, LA.

> ICE TEA & TAILGATE PICNIC--I've added my "iced tea" material
> to the New York Food & Drink and Texas sections of my
> website, and Tailgate Picnic to the Texas section. (Texas
> Tailgating is big at UT.)

Note that Barry is referring to the University of Texas when he says
"UT".  I hope that Jon Lighter and Bethany Dumas (both of whom are on
the faculty of the REAL UT -- the University of Tennessee) will agree
with me that while Barry is okay in referring to U of Tex as UT when he
is in Texas, he should be careful when sending nationwide emails,
because most right-thinking people will recognize UT as the one in
Knoxville.  As they should.  <G>

> Any earlier "iced tea" in 19th
> Century U.S. newspapers? Maybe someone can add to Wikipedia
> to make sure that the 1904 "iced tea" myth doesn't get told again.

 "The Navy" _The New York Herald_, (New York, NY) Friday, August 21,
1863; p 1, col E
"There are three large iceboxes in the vessel, which are capable of
containing
about thirty tons of ice, besides stowing away a large quantity of fresh
meats, &c.
Tanks have been placed in different parts of the vessel, which are to be
filled with
iced tea and coffee, and in fact everything has been done to make her
indeed a
"home." "

"News" _The Daily Miners' Register_, (Central City, CO) Tuesday, July
21, 1868; Issue 306; p 3, col C
"Iced tea with a slice of lemon in it is said to be decidedly ahead of
lager."

[no title] -_Trenton State Gazette_, published as State Gazette; Date:
02-09-1852; Volume: VI; Issue: 1532; Page: [2]; col 3
"Throughout the summer, ices are sold in the streets of every Russian
town; and, not only iced
water, iced wine, iced beer, but even iced tea is drank in immense
quantities."

Bill Mullins
Univ of TN at Knoxville, Class of 1985