follow suite >> follow suit

Sun Oct 14 23:42:41 UTC 2007

I don't understand. My intuition is that "follow suit" is the normal idiom. Never heard "follow suite."
------Original Message------
From: James Harbeck
Sender: American Dialect Society
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
ReplyTo: American Dialect Society
Sent: Oct 14, 2007 7:03 PM
Subject: [ADS-L] follow suite >> follow suit

Toronto Star, October 13, 2007, page L12, "Thinking outside the bowl"
by David Rider: "In Canada, neither the federal nor provincial
governments have followed suit."

I've submitted this to the Eggcorn forum, although I supposed its
eggcorn status is questionable, inasmuch as following suit doesn't
make more sense than following suite, and it may be that "suit" is
just a misspelling of "suite" (as in cards) -- which, however, could
make _it_ an eggcorn.

I was surprised not to find it in the archives in the Eggcorn forum.
I can't imagine this one is all that new.

James Harbeck.