follow suite >> follow suit

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 15 00:31:22 UTC 2007

I can understand the use of both -- although I am not a user of
"suite".  Perhaps more common in Europe?

Doesn't "suit" come from the French "suite"?  OED2 says "[a. AF.
siwte (12th c.), siute, sute, seute, suite = OF. sieute, later
suitte, etc. (mod.F. suite, see suite)"

And OED2 has this quotation: "1849 Chambers's Inform. People II.
663/2 If a person happens not to follow suite, or trump a suite." --
although it's its only "follow suite".

Joel