semantic drift: "scream"

Mon Oct 15 16:19:59 UTC 2007

This sense of "scream" is already recognized by those slang dictionaries that have managed to get to the letter S!

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigo Som <indigo at WELL.COM>

Date:         Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:22:09
To:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] semantic drift:  "scream"

How about "screaming" as an equivalent to fabulous, great, amazing?
That's been around for a while. "That party was screamin'!" In
particular, I remember wearing a spectacular pair of striped pants to
work one day (Oakland CA, circa 2002) & my client admired them,
saying "those pants are screaming!" That comment stood out in my mind
because I don't usually wear screaming clothes (flamboyant, colorful,
&c.), not because I thought screaming was a strange word to use. What
can I say, I was proud of those pants!

--
Indigo Som
indigo at well.com
http://www.indigosom.com

Poets don't have hobbies; they have obsessions --Leonard Nathan