"Silver Tsunami" (first "boomer" files for Social Security)

Tue Oct 16 17:50:40 UTC 2007

Tidal wave was the popular name in use when I was a
youth back in the 50's, but I think those in the know
have long eschewed this moniker for seismic sea wave.
I have no documentation, but I think 'tsunami' has
come into more widespread use in the past 50 years or
so, basically since the end of WWII because of the
more open exchange of scientific knowledge between
Japan and the west (and because 'tsunami' sounds less
mundane than 'seismic sea wave').

"Tidal wave: An erroneous syn. of both 'storm surge'
and 'tsunami'"  American Geologic Institute Glossary
of Geology, 1980

http://sims.yahoo.com/