"Silver Tsunami" (first "boomer" files for Social Security)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 20 00:35:17 UTC 2007

A good point.  So why should Americans be subject to the replacement of a word they already know, such as "tidal wave"
by a word they have trouble pronouncing, tsunami, or looking up because it starts with a silent letter, or connot fathom
the relevance of because of the invisible morphology that makes it relevant.  At least the word "tidal wave" is something
that is spellable, lookupable, and intuitive as to meaning based on English morphology.

So as an American in the American Dialect Society, I believe the word "tidal wave" should be retained because,
according to m-w.com, it antedates the word tsunami, is more intuitive as to meaning, and is more pronouncable
and spellable.  To me there is no more redeamable quality to tsunami than changing hurricane to typhoon.
Is that next?  So my vote is tidal wave over tsunami.  I find no sense in changing.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.