"Hispanic or Mexican"; Balderdash & Piffle

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sat Oct 20 02:38:01 UTC 2007

In fairness to the OED, Jesse did post the following here on 1/4/2007, at http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0701A&L=ADS-L&P=R16218&I=-3:

By the way, anyone with antedatings of the dates _published on
the Balderdash & Piffle site_--i.e., including Barry for
_Bloody Mary_, John/Fred for _shaggy dog story_, etc., please
_send it in to the site_. You'll get listed there, as Fred was
last time, if you do so. If you just send it to me or directly
to OED, you likely won't.

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Barry Popik
Sent: Fri 10/19/2007 9:46 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "Hispanic or Mexican"; Balderdash & Piffle

BALDERDASH & PIFFLE (continued)
I meant Britain's strict libel & copyright laws. The BBC is usually
very careful about them.
The whole thing is ridiculous. I've never seen the show so I don't
know how things were presented, but B&P was produced with the help of
the OED. My "Bloody Mary" finding was published in 2001--six years
ago. OED should have had it in its files. The old 1950s "Bloody Mary"
date shouldn't even have made the OED appeals list. Eleven people got
credit for "discovering" my work that was already known to OED.
OED could help give a volunteer researcher just a little bit of credit
here, but it didn't.