OED editing, antedating peril ephemera, was Re: [ADS-L] The competitive sport of antedating

Sat Oct 20 16:38:07 UTC 2007

Grant Barrett advises Stephen Goranson:

Finally, Stephen, I think you are petitioning the wrong organization.
Instead, I'd be drafting your email as an article proposal and then
sending it as a query to various popular periodicals. Trumpet the
true story of jazz! That is the opening that OED's long update times
has left for you and other scholars. Get out there with factual,
interesting articles and widely report your antedatings and those of
your colleagues.

I've been working on an article for one of the annual SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) on the origin of "jazz" in baseball.  My hope is, that this article will alert these harmless crackpots that if they are reading early 20th C newspapers looking for news of their favorite teams and come upon the word "jazz", they have found something notable.  I'm hoping that 1913 won't prove the earliest occurrence.

For my part, as I read early 19th C newspapers, whenever I find the editor showing off a new word, giving his readers a nudge so that they will notice how up to date he is, putting a word or phrase in quotes, or italics, or introducing it with "as the boys say" or "to use a western expression" or the like, I make a note of it.  This has produces some absolute antedatings, some antedatings for the U. S. (which the OED seems unconcerned with) and a few entirely new words.

A problem with the fascination with antedatings is that occurrences that aren't antedatings are seen as valueless.  But they may illustrate the word's meaning better than the original instance, or show a new nuance -- as the difference between "jazz" as "energy, spirit" and "jazz" as "nonsense, foolishness".  The stuff I fuind that aren't antedatings I don't send here, usually, but I do send to Jonathan & Jonathon.

GAT

George A. Thompson