"Jazz" reference --- was: Re: OED editing, antedating peril ephemera,...

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Oct 20 17:34:58 UTC 2007

Re: "jazz" (discussed in several recent ads-l messages), please don't overlook the following item:
Gerald Cohen: "_Jazz_" Revisited: On The Origin Of The Term--Draft #3." in: Comments on Etymology, vol. 35, no. 1-2, October-November 2005, 140 pp.  ----- Btw, due credit is given throughout.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of George Thompson
Sent: Sat 10/20/2007 11:38 AM

<snip>

I've been working on an article for one of the annual SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) on the origin of "jazz" in baseball.  My hope is, that this article will alert these harmless crackpots that if they are reading early 20th C newspapers looking for news of their favorite teams and come upon the word "jazz", they have found something notable.  I'm hoping that 1913 won't prove the earliest occurrence.

<snip>