Antedating of "Hobo" (1886)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Oct 21 19:29:52 UTC 2007

The most useful cite in the ADS database is still Barry's find of an interview with a police officer in the 14 September 1888 _Morning Oregonian_  which perhaps, if correct, shows the term came from the greeting used by tramps--"hobo" to identify themselves to each other.

Using Google Book Search, I find an earlier cite for the term, but nothing helpful to explain the term, only that it would appear to be more recognized at the time by Western citizens.

"Social Problems of To-Day;  or The Mormon Question in Its Economic Aspects" by A. Gentile, 1886,  From http://books.google.com/books?id=IkMlAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA4-PA33&dq=hobo+tramp+date:1850-1889&as_brr=0

"Mr. RICHARDS. Yes, sir; if you had gone into the city of Ogden,
situated 37 miles from Salt Luke City, two weeks ago, it would have been as impossible to find what we call a hobo in that city as it would be to find one in the paradise of Heaven.
Senator DAVIS. What is a hobo ?
Mr. RICHARDS. A tramp who comes there to vote, votes as many times as he can, and gets as much money as possible for doing it."

So, the term was familiar to Mr. Richards, who was from Ogden.

Sam Clements

**Also, there are other book cites by searching for "hobo+ tramp" "1850-1889.  Some may even be legitimate antedates.  But I don't have the patience of Stephen.  If I can see the full view, then I take it.