Say what?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 21 21:03:52 UTC 2007

It's probably lucky that I let well-enough alone. I told the Army that
I had been a laboratory assistant as a civilian. After I described
what I had done, my civvy job was determined to be "water-tender." (I
was a laboratory assistant in a steam-electric generating plant.)

-Wilson

On 10/21/07, Barbara Need <nee1 at midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Barbara Need <nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Say what?
>
> I know of a chemist whose WWII discharge papers identified him as a
> "LAV" assistant!
>
> Barbara
>
> Barbara Need
> UChicago
>
> At 08:18 -0400 17/10/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
> >Yes, Wilson, I rememeber a grade-school teacher's carefully
> >explaining the referential distinction between the homonyms
> >"lavatory" and "laboratory." Well, they weren't exactly homonyms,
> >but confusion did occur.
> >
> >--Charlie

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens