Antedating of "Hobo" (1886)

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Oct 22 00:28:33 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 05:07:52PM -0400, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
> >Using Google Book Search, I find an earlier cite for the term, but
> >nothing helpful to explain the term, only that it would appear to be
> >more recognized at the time by Western citizens.
> >
> >"Social Problems of To-Day;  or The Mormon Question in Its Economic
> >Aspects" by A. Gentile, 1886,  From
> >http://books.google.com/books?id=IkMlAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA4-PA33&dq=hobo+tramp+date:1850-1889&as_brr=0
> >
> >"Mr. RICHARDS. Yes, sir; if you had gone into the city of Ogden,
> >situated 37 miles from Salt Luke City, two weeks ago, it would have
> >been as impossible to find what we call a hobo in that city as it
> >would be to find one in the paradise of Heaven.
> >Senator DAVIS. What is a hobo ?
> >Mr. RICHARDS. A tramp who comes there to vote, votes as many times
> >as he can, and gets as much money as possible for doing it."
> >
> >So, the term was familiar to Mr. Richards, who was from Ogden.
>
> Looks to me like the date is actually 1892. The above is on p. 33:
> page back to p.1 and you'll see the date, I think.

Yes, this is a government document on Utah bound together with
a book on Mormons. This sort of thing is particularly
dangerous, because if you just skip back to the start of the
entire text, you'll see the actual title page of the 1886
volume.

And while we're at it, the author is "A Gentile", not
"A. Gentile" :-)

Jesse Sheidlower
OED