"Silver Tsunami" (first "boomer" files for Social Security)

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Oct 25 01:01:44 UTC 2007

Stephen,

1) If you can't muster German /sts/, please don't look at Polish.

2) No; to my knowledge you are the only native speaker of English (if
you are one) who pronounces the /m/ in mnemonic. Should we notify
Guiness?

3) You don't pronounce the /t/ at the onset of silver?

dInIs (long day)

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Stephen Montgomery <wytukaze at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: "Silver Tsunami" (first "boomer" files for Social Security)
>
>Okay, I'm assuming the string of gibberish I received from myself just now
>was thanks to a problem with UTF-8 on the list's end, so let's try again,
>from the top.
>
>First message:
>Just to timidly poke a dead horse, while I have little interest in which
>word is better, I pronounce the 't' in tsunami. Might be, mind you, down to
>my acquaintance with German's initial /ts/ (although I still can't properly
>master the /sts/ of 'Szene' et al).
>
>And, while I'm at it, does anyone but me pronounce the 'm' of 'mnemonic'?
>

>Second message:
>Apologies for the double post, but I forgot to mention something else. Did
>it occur to anyone else that the choice of "tsunami" in "silver tsunami"
>might have had something to do with the alliterative quality for (what I'm
>assuming is) the majority of speakers?
>
>[So make that apologies for the triple post and spamming your inboxes with
>reams of nonsense.]

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English