The m-word

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 25 17:39:34 UTC 2007

At 1:10 PM -0400 10/25/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
>Thanks for the links, Jesse! I'm still mystified by the evident
>aversion to the word (even out of context)--and the vehemence of
>that aversion--but at least I'm reassured that my students are
>consonant with the times.
>
>I'll now remember to compliment the cook by describing her cake as
>exquisitely "wet" or "damp"!
>
>--Charlie

Very interesting; I had no idea of the existence of this phenomenon,
much less its breadth and depth.  It looks to me as though the source
is (as so often in language) an effect of the combination of sound
(in particular the /oi/ nucleus exacerbated by the following
voiceless sibilant) and meaning (in particular the collocational one,
as a modifier of panties).  So neither "choice", say, nor "damp" have
any particular aversive effect.  Is it, as it appears to me, only
women who are "moist"ophobic?  So it would appear from the evidence
presented on the Language Log posts, along with Charlie's post.

LH