More color confusion

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Tue Oct 30 16:52:43 UTC 2007

I've always known topaz to be yellowish, and I've certainly seen it
up close and personal more than once.

According to http://www.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/topaz/topaz.htm ,

"Topaz is a common gemstone that has been used for centuries in
jewelry. Its golden brown to yellow color is classic but is confused
with the less valuable citrine, which is sold under the name topaz.
The blue topaz that is often confused with aquamarine is rarely
natural and is produced by irradiating and then heating clear
crystals."

And on the side of the same page is a bunch of ads for blue topaz
jewellery. Nary a sight of the yellowish kind. So apparently in some
quarters, topaz is thought of as blue! News to me.

James Harbeck.