noncents

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 31 17:52:33 UTC 2007

At 10/31/2007 01:11 PM, James A. Landau wrote:
>All prices on the menu are in dollars with no decimal point, e.g.
>     Egg Drop Soup.............2
>     Hot and Sour Soup........3
>     Egg Roll......................2
>     Sweet and Sour Pork.....9
>     Moo Shu Pork..............9
>     Beef with Broccoli........10
>     Sauteed Steak Kew......15
>
>These prices seem a little high to me, and I don't know if it's because
>they are in unit dollars and I would be more comfortable with Egg Drop
>Soup for $1.50 and Moo Shu Pork for $8.95
>
>Has anyone else seen this phenomenon of not using traditional dollars
>and cents?  Is this the beginning of a new trend?

I vaguely recall seeing this once or perhaps twice, but in
restaurants where the soup might have been 5 and the pork 25 (some
time ago) -- that is, in an upscale (meaning intending classiness but
achieving perhaps only high-priciness) restaurant.  IIRC, I've never
seen just dimes after the decimal point.

Joel