noncents

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 31 21:50:08 UTC 2007

--- "Landau, James" <James.Landau at NGC.COM> wrote:

> These prices seem a little high to me, and I don't know if it's because
> they are in unit dollars and I would be more comfortable with Egg Drop
> Soup for $1.50 and Moo Shu Pork for $8.95
>
> Has anyone else seen this phenomenon of not using traditional dollars
> and cents?  Is this the beginning of a new trend?
>
> (I have seen one related example: on West Wing there was an episode on
> which Josh Lyman had to deal with a proposal to demonetarize the penny.)

I've seen dollars without cents a few times before, usually in more upscale or
trendy restaurants. The missing hundreds digit looks weird to me, although I
think I've seen it on wine-by-the-glass lists at some restaurants that
otherwise omit the decimal values entirely.

Jeff Prucher

Editor, Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction
http://www.jeffprucher.com

http://mail.yahoo.com