Further antedating of hydrant (1801)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sat Sep 1 03:26:42 UTC 2007

>At 8/30/2007 11:22 PM, sagehen wrote:
>>106 years?  Dude, you ARE out of date!
>
>:-)  Well, I tell friends and acquaintances I haven't entered the
>21st century yet.  But at least you could compliment me for the
>further antedating.
>
>Joel
>~~~~~~~~
 You're right, but what actually interested me more was not the word
"hydrant," but the fact that "the waters of the Schuylkill were distributed
along the pipes of conduit through the streets of Philadelphia" in 1801.

(After living for over 32 years in a house without running water [by
choice], there is a certain seductive charm in the image of water running
in pipes!
You could say we've barely entered the 20th Century.)
AM