heat/cold ratios [Was: times lower than] (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Sep 5 18:18:58 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

<engineer hat on>

Anytime you are trying to convey real information (and by real, I mean measureable -- that is, with numbers that mean something), "twice as cold" is meaningless.  All temperature scales measure the amount of heat, not the amount of cold. Cold is simply the absence of heat.  From context, this may be a relative absence, or an absolute absence.   "Twice as cold" is scientifically meaningless.  "Half as warm" would probably mean the same thing to most laypeople, and at least is accurate.

The statements below about degrees Kelvin having the ratio property are true.  But it is only in the context of heat that this means anything.  40 Kelvins is twice as warm as 20 Kelvins.  (Rankine is to Kelvin as Fahrenheit is to Celsius/centigrade; 40 deg Rankine is twice as warm as 20 deg Rankine).   But, there is no temperature "X" about whice it makes sense to say that Y is twice as cold as X, because "cold" isn't generally accepted within the scientific/engineering communities as measureable in the same way that heat is (and there is no need to do so -- everything that is measureable and specifiable about the temperature or other thermodynamic properties of something can be done by discussions and measurements of how much heat it has).

</engineer hat off>

Having said all that, if someone says to me that today is twice as cold as yesterday, and all they really mean is that it is much colder now than it was then, fine.

But if yesterday's temperature is 32 deg Fahrenheit, and "today is twice as cold as yesterday was", there is no way from the statements and data given to figure out what today's temperature is.