Another one bites the dust?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Sep 6 16:03:34 UTC 2007

I've often heard "a phenomena" and "a criteria,"  and last night on the news someone spoke of "a paparazzi." We deal here with a tendency (not a law, though, of course) to shift the plural to the singular. I've noticed many more examples over the years, but they don't come to mind at the moment.  Maybe it's time to compile them.

Gerald Cohen