Hood Rats and slang

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 6 21:55:37 UTC 2007

That's also been my experience, but I know it only from TV, my
corner-hanging and street-running days being <sigh!> dekkids behind
me. With neither chick nor child nor grandchild to keep me hip or
fresh or whatever is said, nowadays, I can't speak authoritatively on
any slang more recent than ca.1975. So, I have to go with what's found
on line.

-Wilson

On 9/5/07, Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Hood Rats and slang
>
> That's what was kind of curious to me because all the other times I've heard
> someone called a "hood rat" it was a female, usually of loose morals.
>
> Scot
>

> >From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> >Subject: Re: Hood Rats and slang
> >Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:29:47 -0400
> >
> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> >Subject:      Re: Hood Rats and slang
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >From the site cited:
> >
> >"Hood Rat[:]
> >
> >"An[sic] street character. Someone who hangs around the 'hood.'"
> >
> >That seems gender-neutral to me.
> >
> >-Wilson
> >

> >On 9/4/07, Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >-----------------------
> > > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > > Poster:       Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
> > > Subject:      Hood Rats and slang
> > >
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > I got curious about the term "hood rat" today and gave it a quick
> >internet
> > > search. I can find citations from the mid-1990's, but I assume it is
> >older
> > > than that. Also, does anyone know if the term is exclusive to females?
> > >
> > > BTW, I happened across this slang site. It's interesting.
> > > http://www.voxcommunications.com/slang15.htm
> > >
> > > Scot

> > > Gear up for Halo(r) 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer.
> > > http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_MSNHMTxt_1

> >--
> >All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> >come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> >-----
> >                                               -Sam'l Clemens

> Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger
> Café. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline1

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens