DogGONE!!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 6 23:23:23 UTC 2007

That takes me back, Charlie. WRT my friends and me, it was fixed in
the form, "Jim Dawg," "Jim" having replaced "Jack" (cf. the much more
recent use: _Werewolves of London_: "Don't mess with him / He'll tear
your lungs out, Jim!") as the hip form of address. At the same time,
1951, there was a popular jazz tune named "Jim Dawg," by Gene Ammons
and Sonny Stitt. This helped spread the use of "Jim Dawg" as a form of
address.

-Wilson

On 9/4/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: DogGONE!!
>
> When my son played high school football (in Georgia) in the late 1980s, the players--most of whom were African American--would affectionatey refer to their teammates (including white ones) by appending "Dog" to forenames or nicknames, especially monosyllables: Thus "Lew-Dog" and "Mike-Dog" and "Vince-Dog" (for example).
>
> --Charlie

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens