"novel" again

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 7 16:27:35 UTC 2007

Right. It is a first-person narrative of personal experience.

  To take a counter-example, Siegfried Sassoon's _Memoirs of George Sherston_ really is a trilogy of semi-autobiographical novels: autobiographical because closely based on Sassoon's own life, novels because presented frankly as fiction.

  A so-called "memoir" presented as fact yet shown to be fiction would not, with a straight face, be escribed as a "novel."  It would be a "bogus memoir" and a fake.  There must be some cases where the line (or the proportions) is not clear, but those are special cases and in serious discourse would require more than just a label.

  Even though he famously wrote in the third person, Caesar's "memoirs" appear to be factual, though undeniably self-serving.

  JL

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
Subject: Re: "novel" again

At 9/7/2007 11:20 AM, Jon L wrote:
>True, Joel, but the point is that Kovic's book *isn't a novel.*

Ah -- Did I misunderstand, your objection wasn't to calling a novel
"autobiographical", but to calling Kovic's book a "novel" when it
should better be called a "memoir"? (Based I assume on knowledge of
its contents, which I don't have since I haven't read it.)

Joel

Building a website is a piece of cake.