Another one bites the dust?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 7 20:11:43 UTC 2007

Has anyone every heard or read an instance of the Latin pronunciation
intermixed with the English pronunciation of the same word that was
not disambiguated, instead of  ambiguated, by context?

Though this has nothing to do with the validity of your argument,
FWIW, Radcliffe College has been defunct for about a dekkid, now being
designated as the Radcliffe "Institute" and, in any case, Radcliffe
College was made co-ed some time ca.1972, at which time all of its
graduates were designated alumni or alumnae of Harvard College. (The
legal name of what is commonly referred to as "Harvard University" is
The President and Fellows of Harvard College, which claims to be the
oldest corporation in the Western Hemisphere.)

-Wilson

On 9/6/07, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Another one bites the dust?
>
>         It's harder than you're letting on.  If I say, "Here is where we
> will have the dinner for the uh LUM nye," do I mean the Harvard alumni
> (anglicized pronunciation) or the Radcliffe alumnae (Latin
> pronunciation)?  Similarly, if I say, "The after-dinner program for the
> uh LUM nee will be in the other room," do I mean the Radcliffe alumnae
> (anglicized pronunciation) or the Harvard alumni (Latin pronunciation)?
>

> John Baker

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens